Monday, June 24, 2013

Paula Deen - Under All That Sugar the Cake is Rotten

No, Paula, "everyone" does NOT use the N word.  Even just thinking that word makes me uncomfortable.

The days of telling jokes at the expense of nationalities, ethnicities and sexual orientation were over long ago but you did not get the memo or chose to ignore it.

I grew up during the Civil Rights movement and was subjected to the racist rants of my father when films of the riots were on the nightly news.  I listened to the stupid racist jokes my father-in-law told.  And I was glad when I knew that they had taken their attitudes with them when they departed this world.  Strangely, our mothers were silent during these episodes of hate thinly disguised as humor.  I know my mother was not racist and I know that she truly would not hurt another human being with disrespect but she was also a woman of the previous generation and as such, could not challenge her husband.

Paula Deen is only 4 years older than me so she cannot use that excuse.  Is it a Southern thing?  I certainly hope not as I would no more want to paint all southerners with the same brush that Paula would paint the objects of her jokes.

Racist jokes, racist comments, dressing your employees up as slaves is just WRONG.

I think what makes me the angriest is that Ms. Deen has caused damage to my credibility as a middle-aged white woman because what minority person will not be more apt to view me with suspicion?  Thanks, Paula. Thanks a lot.


No comments:

Post a Comment